Four project level design management tips
- Always do your market research as part of the design process. The main reason for a design failing in the market place is not understanding customer requirements.
- The early stages of the design process are the best time for change . They don’t cost too much.
- Make sure you regularly review the design process against the design brief and specifications.
- Keep track of all improvements/changes to processes and technical performance identified in the regular reviews and final evaluation. This will be of major benefit to future projects.
Four general planning tips
- Identify resource and equipment needs. For example, admin support, storage, technical information and external specialists.
- Set key dates for specific objectives and tasks including start and finish dates. Plan design activities, establish overall targets for the design team and monitor progress.
- Fix a project budget plan for all costs including any external funding elements.
- Have an effective system of management information for control purposes with good communications in place.